Follow by Email

Monday, August 14, 2017

Ink Lifting Technique with Distress Oxide Inks and Studio Katia Stamps

Hi everyone and happy Monday!!  Today I thought I'd show you a technique!!!  Exciting, right?  Actually, this is far from new but really fun and easy.  It's the "ink lifting" or "ink bleaching" technique.  Let's get started!

I started by heat embossing the large floral image from the You're So Ranunculus set in white onto some watercolour paper.  I stamped only the top of the image on both the bottom and the top of the panel.  The Original Misti and the Misti Creative Corners make this really easy.  All you have to do is rotate your paper 180 degrees and you get the perfect mirror image!


I picked two colours of Distress Oxide Inks, Picked Raspberry and Worn Lipstick.  One of the keys to this technique is to use LOTS OF INK.  Really saturate your paper.  You can take the ink pad directly to the paper if you want but because I wanted a bit of a blended look, I used my blending tools.


Now, all you have to do is apply a liberal amount of water to the inside of the embossed image.  Because these inks are reactive with water, the ink will start to "lift" or "bleach", giving the image a whiter look!  I would let the water sit for a few seconds before dabbing it with a paper towel.


I probably could have added more water for a brighter white but I was happy with this.  I also took my wet paint brush and flicked some clean water across the background, because I totally couldn't resist.

I took the "lovely" word die, also in the You're So Ranunculus bundle and die cut that directly out of the panel.  My original idea was to do some inlay die cutting but after I layered this piece onto black cardstock, I changed my mind!


I used the positive die cut to help with placing the bits and pieces of the letters.  To finish off, I stamped the You're So above the Lovely in Versafine Black Onyx ink.  Now, I'm going to show you what happened next....


Yup!  I adhered that beautiful panel onto the wrong side of the card base, with my ATG adhesive, no less!  I just sat there, so annoyed with myself.  I could have just trimmed around the card base but this is quite a heavy layer already, so I didn't want to have THREE pieces of cardstock on top of a cardbase.  So, I took my bone folder and carefully lifted the panel off and adhered it the RIGHT WAY!!

To add a bit of sparkle, I used sequins from the Crystal Clear Sequin Fusion and a little Shimmer Pen over the flowers.




Thanks for joining me today!!  Have a great week and see you soon!!

Laurie







Friday, August 11, 2017

FRIEND with Cas-ual Fridays!

Hi everyone!  I decided to enter a card challenge this week!!  This will be my first time participating in Cas-ual Fridays The Challenge!  I recently fell in love with this line of stamps through Catherine Pooler's Online Shop.  Cas-ual Fridays stamps and dies are really unique.  From sassy to elegant to whimsical to graphic, they've got you covered!

The theme of this challenge is FRIENDSHIP!!  I love making friendship cards to this was totally fun!!


I used the Tin Roof stamp set with Versamark Ink and Clear Embossing Powder to create the half circle, emboss resist piece.  I used Wilted Violet and Seedless Preserves Distress Oxide inks for the blending.

I die cut the Friend die out of black cardstock, twice, and layered them together.  My card base was white so I kept the black/white theme going by cutting the flowers from the Friendly Flowers Fri-Dies out of black and white, as well.


I matted the card panel (crookedly) onto a black mat and adhered it to the card base.  I foam mounted the large flower and used liquid glue for the smaller one.  And because I can't help myself, I added some white gel pen!!


It's hard to see in the photos, but I applied glitter pen to the friend die cut to give it some sparkle.  And speaking of sparkle, I added a few Sparkling Clear Sequins!!


Thanks for stopping by!!  I hope you enjoyed :)

Until next time...

Laurie






Monday, August 7, 2017

The Letter "M" continues..

Let's carry on with the letter "m", shall we?!  I'm slowly making my way through my stamps in this category and am still having so much fun!

Let's see what I've come up with this week!

My first card uses a stamp/die set from My Creative Time.  I love this card!! It is super elegant and was very easy to make!  The set is called Springtime in Paris.


I have not used this set and I wonder to myself why not.  This set has a lot of sentiments in french, the swirls and of course the Eiffel Tower.  The die comes along with the stamps!


My next card features Mama Elephant.  I used the Carnival Cupcakes stamp set and the Co-ordinating Cuts.  I made the card base out of the Index Card Creative Cuts Set.


The sentiment was made using the Hollow Letters stamp set.  Honestly, not one of my favourite alpha sets but cute none the less! I do however, adore the cupcake set!!


And lastly, and quite possibly my favourite card, features My Favourite Things.  I got the Feel Better Stamps and Dies.  This set is ON SALE RIGHT NOW over at Butterfly Reflections Ink!!!


This set has the cutest medicine bottles along with a bowl, spoon and mug.  These pill bottles are super adorable and they were so much fun to colour!!  The scalloped panel and the sentiment banner comes from the Blueprints #27.  The sentiment comes from the Essential Sentiments set.


I hope you enjoyed this week's instalment of my blog series!

See you Soon!!

Laurie